- pertaining to, characteristic of, occurring in, or inhabiting the tropics, especially the humid tropics: tropical flowers.
- very hot and humid: a tropical climate.
- designed for use in the tropics or in very hot weather (often used in combination): tropical-weight woolens.
- of or relating to either or both of the astronomical tropics.
- pertaining to, characterized by, or of the nature of a trope or tropes; metaphorical.
- tropicals, lightweight clothing, suitable for warm, especially summer weather.
Origin of tropical
Examples from the Web for tropically
Historical Examples of tropically
On some smaller pieces birds of tropically gay plumage were painted upon a sombre chocolate ground.The Ceramic Art
Jennie J. Young
They looked so tropically warm and moved, he hardly knew what greeting he might receive.The Prisoner
The air, as it touched his face, was tropically warm and indolent with voluptuous fragrance of flowers and plants.Idolatry
The day had been tropically warm; we had sought the shore for a breath of living air.Our National Defense:
George Hebard Maxwell
- situated in, used in, characteristic of, or relating to the tropics
- (of weather) very hot, esp when humid
- rhetoric of or relating to a trope