- the last syllable of a word.
Origin of ultima
ultima ratio regum
- the final argument of kings (a resort to arms): motto engraved on the cannon of Louis XIV.
- (italics) Latin. the highest degree attainable.
- the farthest point; the limit of any journey.
- the point believed by the ancients to be farthest north.
Origin of ultima Thule
Examples from the Web for ultima
Contemporary Examples of ultima
Anaya recalled that decades ago certain New Mexico schools banned Bless Me, Ultima, whose protagonist is a curandera, or healer.Arizona Ethnic-Studies Ban’s Unintended Result: Underground Libraries
March 19, 2012
Historical Examples of ultima
But English will mean fame in ultima Thule; the isles of the sea, as the Bible says.Dreamers of the Ghetto
In the nature of the case, there is not, nor can there be an Ultima Thule in art.A Popular History of the Art of Music
W. S. B. Mathews
There can be no doubt about faith and not reason being the ultima ratio.The Way of All Flesh
War, in this age and in this country, sir, should be the ultima ratio.
The ultima ratio would be the only means by which the decision could be enforced.The Civil War in America
William Howard Russell
- the final syllable of a word
Word Origin for ultima
- another name for Thule
- any distant or unknown region
- a remote goal or aim