- any material or substance used for grinding, polishing, etc., as emery, pumice, or sandpaper.
Origin of abrasive
Synonyms for abrasive
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a substance or material such as sandpaper, pumice, or emery, used for cleaning, grinding, smoothing, or polishing
- causing abrasion; grating; rough
- irritating in manner or personality; causing tension or annoyance
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
"an abrasive substance," 1853, from abrasive (adj.).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Causing abrasion.
- A material used to produce abrasion.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.