- not appropriate; unfit; unsuitable: an unapt answer.
- not prone, likely, or disposed: She is unapt to waste what she has accumulated with such effort.
- deficient in aptitude or capacity; slow; dull: an unapt student.
Origin of unapt
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for unapt
“No unapt picture this, of the life of many of us, Hurry,” said my companion.Hurricane Hurry
A most merciful man, as ready to forgive as unapt to take or give offence.George Fox
This is no unapt emblem of the mind's self-experience in the act of thinking.Biographia Literaria
Samuel Taylor Coleridge
The poet's chaos was no unapt emblem of the state of my mind.Wieland; or The Transformation
Charles Brockden Brown
Archy is as unapt to give out a secret as the rock is to unlock its waters.The Weird of the Wentworths, Vol. 1
- (usually postpositive often foll by for) not suitable or qualified; unfitted
- mentally slow
- (postpositive; may take an infinitive) not disposed or likely (to)