- without backing or support.
- not supported by bets: an unbacked challenger.
- not endorsed: an unbacked product.
- never having been mounted by a rider, as a horse.
Origin of unbacked
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for unbacked
More to the northward, the country was low and unbacked by any elevations.
Such large amounts of unbacked paper could lead to but one result, a steadily increasing depreciation.The Colonization of North America
Herbert Eugene Bolton
He paid their fare at the opening in the tent and went in and sat on one of the crude, unbacked benches.The Cottage of Delight
Will N. Harben
Marie made up for lost time, for being alone now, and unbacked by sympathising friends, I was again in her power.The Confession of a Fool
Reliance upon high sounding words, unbacked by deeds, is proof of a mind that dwells only in the realm of shadow and of sham.Theodore Roosevelt and His Times
- (of a book, chair, etc) not having a back
- bereft of support, esp on a financial basis
- (of a horse)
- not supported by bets
- never having been ridden