[uhn-der-neeth, -neeth ]
- below the surface or level of; directly or vertically beneath; at or on the bottom of.
- under the control of; in a lower position in a hierarchy of authority: Underneath the department heads are the junior executives.
- hidden, disguised, or misrepresented, as by a false appearance or pretense: Underneath his bluster is a timid nature.
- below; at a lower level or position; on the underside.
- lower; situated below or under.
- the bottom; underside; lowest part.
Origin of underneath
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for underneath
Underneath my chronic prickliness and assholishness I am always, always thankful.
And underneath my chronic prickliness and assholishness I am always, always thankful.
Sweat poured from underneath his helmet and down the thin points of his sandy blond hair.I Shot Bin Laden
November 16, 2014
Underneath, a miniature version of the bug-crazy man is revealed, himself thwacking away in an alternate dimension.‘Interstellar’ Is Wildly Ambitious, Very Flawed, and Absolutely Worth Seeing
November 7, 2014
“That said, underneath the surface differences in threat perception and how to deal with Russia persist,” he says.Shocked by Ukraine Violence, NATO Prepares to Face Down Putin
October 12, 2014
Wiglaf stabs the dragon from underneath, and Bewulf cuts it in two with his dagger.Beowulf
The men were working at the breast of it, some underneath, some on top.The Forest
Stewart Edward White
Once, he roused with a start and hastily got the axe out from underneath the lashings.White Fang
Underneath was printed "May be consulted gratis from ten to four."The Stark Munro Letters
J. Stark Munro
Underneath is a stone platform, and on it the hideous elephant-god.Things as They Are
- under; beneath
- a lower part, surface, etc
Old English underneothan, from under + neothan below; related to Old Danish underneden; see beneath
Word Origin and History for underneath
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper