- having the quality of describing; characterized by description: a descriptive passage in an essay.
- noting, concerned with, or based upon the fact or experience.
- characterized by or based upon the classification and description of material in a given field: descriptive botany.
Origin of descriptive
Examples from the Web for undescriptive
Historical Examples of undescriptive
The dog's name was undescriptive of his person, which was obviously the result of a singular series of mesalliances.Penrod
- characterized by or containing description; serving to describe
- grammar (of an adjective) serving to describe the referent of the noun modified, as for example the adjective brown as contrasted with my and former
- relating to or based upon description or classification rather than explanation or prescriptiondescriptive linguistics
1751, from Late Latin descriptivus, from descript-, past participle stem of describere (see description). Related: Descriptively; descriptiveness.