- not in a state of good or normal health; in an unsound, weak, or morbid condition.
- symptomatic of or resulting from bad health: an unhealthy pallor.
- not conducive to good health; unhealthful: Night air was formerly considered unhealthy.
- morally bad, harmful, or contaminating: unhealthy examples for the young.
- dangerous; risky: Asking questions in this neighborhood can be unhealthy.
Origin of unhealthy
SynonymsSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for unhealthy
Most of us have an unhealthy relationship with anger, writes author and psychologist Andrea Brandt.Can Self-Help Books Really Make a New You?
December 29, 2014
Barbie is an unrealistic, unhealthy, insulting representation of female appearance.Sexism Begins in the Toy Aisle
November 29, 2014
Jordan Younger knew her raw vegan diet had become an unhealthy obsession when she started avoiding going out with friends.
You rigidly avoid any food you deem to be “unhealthy,” such as those containing fat, preservatives, additives or animal products.
American teenagers have a relatively clear view of which unhealthy behaviors will put them at greatest long-term risk.Teens Don't Know HIV Is an STD
August 6, 2014
And I said that it seemed an unhealthy thing to dump all our refuse so close to the city.The Harbor
Lorilleux, annoyed at not having any fat himself, said that it was soft and unhealthy.L'Assommoir
And your English lakes—Vindermere, Grasmere they, then, unhealthy?Howards End
E. M. Forster
To her mind there was something feverish and unhealthy in its vivid beauty.Audrey Craven
He also saw the unhealthy lines in his cheeks and round his mouth.The Golden Woman
- characterized by ill-health; sick; unwell
- characteristic of, conducive to, or resulting from ill-healthan unhealthy complexion; an unhealthy atmosphere
- morbid or unwholesome
- informal dangerous; risky
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for unhealthy
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper