- to look carefully at or over; view closely and critically: to inspect every part of the motor.
- to view or examine formally or officially: The general inspected the troops.
Origin of inspect
SynonymsSee more synonyms for inspect on Thesaurus.com
1. examine, scrutinize, investigate, study.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for uninspected
(e) By forbidding the interstate transportation of the products of child labor, of convict labor and of all uninspected factories.Twentieth Century Socialism
- to examine closely, esp for faults or errors
- to scrutinize officially (a document, military personnel on ceremonial parade, etc)
C17: from Latin inspicere, from specere to look
Word Origin and History for uninspected
1620s, from Latin inspectus, past participle of inspicere "to look into" (see inspection). Related: Inspected; inspecting.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper