- to convert (a fat) into soap by treating with an alkali.
- to decompose (any ester), forming the corresponding alcohol and acid or salt.
- to become converted into soap.
Origin of saponify
Examples from the Web for unsaponified
Historical Examples of unsaponified
Run the gasoline into a weighed dish, evaporate the alcohol, dry and weigh the residue as unsaponified matter.Soap-Making Manual
E. G. Thomssen
The unsaponified fat of the coccus insect, as well as oleic and margaric acids.
- to undergo or cause to undergo a process in which a fat is converted into a soap by treatment with alkali
- to undergo or cause to undergo a reaction in which an ester is hydrolysed to an acid and an alcohol as a result of treatment with an alkali
Word Origin for saponify
1821, from French saponifier (see saponification). Related: Saponified; saponifying.
- To undergo saponification.