- a swinging blow directed upward, as to an adversary's chin.
- Bridge. a play of a higher trump than necessary knowing it can be overtrumped by an opponent but that if overtrumped, one or more trump winners in the hand of one's partner will be established.
- to strike (an opponent) with an uppercut.
- to deliver an uppercut.
- Bridge. to make an uppercut.
Origin of uppercut
Related Words for uppercutimpact, bump, concussion, shock, punch, slap, jolt, stroke, jab, kick, uppercut, blow, bat, shot, swing, knock, beat, pop, nail, smack
Examples from the Web for uppercut
Contemporary Examples of uppercut
In February, witnesses told Deadspin that Ray Rice threw an “uppercut” and struck her “like he [would punch] a guy.”How Could the NFL Not Know About the Brutal Second Ray Rice Tape?
September 8, 2014
Historical Examples of uppercut
He then dashed in and uppercut his opponent severely on the occiput.
Bertram jerked his right hand up from his hip to illustrate the uppercut.The Readjustment
And it was in this second that Denby uppercut him so that he fell with a thud to the floor.Under Cover
Roi Cooper Megrue
The latter met him with an uppercut that shook him from head to foot.Baseball Joe in the World Series
One, at least, of his eyes were closed, and I had just given him an uppercut on the nose.The Revellers
- a short swinging upward blow with the fist delivered at an opponent's chin
- to hit (an opponent) with an uppercut