- opening by valves, as certain capsules and anthers.
- meeting without overlapping, as the parts of certain buds.
- composed of or characterized by such parts.
Words nearby valvate
How to use valvate in a sentence
Cones globular, with peltate, valvate scales, firmly closed till ripe; the scales thick and pointed at the center.Trees of the Northern United States|Austin C. Apgar
Sepals 4, or rarely more, colored, the valvate margins turned inward in the bud.
Petals either imbricated in the bud or valvate with the point inflexed.
Corolla salver-form or funnel-form, usually much longer than the calyx-lobes, 4-lobed, the lobes valvate in the bud.
Corolla funnel-form, 4-lobed; the lobes spreading, densely bearded inside, valvate in the bud.
British Dictionary definitions for valvate
- having or taking place by means of valvesvalvate dehiscence
- (of petals or sepals in the bud) having the margins touching but not overlapping