- furnished with or opening by a valve or valves.
- serving as or resembling a valve.
- opening by valves, as certain capsules and anthers.
- meeting without overlapping, as the parts of certain buds.
- composed of or characterized by such parts.
Origin of valvate
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for valvate
Corolla 4-parted, rarely 3-parted, wheel-shaped, valvate in the bud.
Corolla tubular-funnel-form, 5-lobed at the summit, valvate in bud.
Reduplicate (in stivation), valvate with the margins turned outwards, 97.The Elements of Botany
Calyx 5-parted, valvate in the staminate flowers, imbricate in the pistillate.
Calyx of the sterile flowers 4-parted and valvate in bud; of the fertile, 3–5-parted.
- furnished with a valve or valves
- functioning as or resembling a valve
- having or taking place by means of valvesvalvate dehiscence
- (of petals or sepals in the bud) having the margins touching but not overlapping
- Having valves or valvelike parts.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.