- one of the two or more separable pieces composing certain shells.
- either half of the silicified shell of a diatom.
- one of the segments into which a capsule dehisces.
- a flap or lidlike part of certain anthers.
verb (used with object), valved, valv·ing.
Origin of valve
Related Words for valvepipe, faucet, spigot, lid, plug, stopper, tap, hydrant, gate, cock, flap, shutoff
Examples from the Web for valve
Contemporary Examples of valve
Such and such a time, such and such a day, then trouble with the valve.Alfred Hitchcock’s Fade to Black: The Great Director’s Final Days
December 13, 2014
When he finally opened the valve, he says, the team was able to cool the core for the first time since the crisis began.A Nuclear Meltdown Survivor Story
March 17, 2011
People with valve problems develop heart murmurs and may eventually need valve replacement.The Miracle of Dick Cheney
July 15, 2010
Historical Examples of valve
The valve was shut by order of the aeronaut, and we descended rapidly.My Double Life
This was caused by the escaping gas going through the valve.
At the proper intervals the valve is pulled down by the eccentric C.Boys' Book of Model Boats
Raymond Francis Yates
He gave the valve a turn and the Allison smoothed considerably.A Yankee Flier Over Berlin
Turn the valve so that it will close the hole in the same way.Common Science
Carleton W. Washburne
- any of the several parts that make up a dry dehiscent fruit, esp a capsule
- either of the two halves of a diatom cell wall
Word Origin for valve
late 14c., "one of the halves of a folding door," from Latin valva "section of a folding or revolving door," literally "that which turns," related to volvere "to roll" (see volvox). Sense extended 1610s to "membranous fold regulating flow of bodily fluids;" 1650s to "mechanical device that works like a valve;" and 1660s in zoology to "halves of a hinged shell."
- Any of various mechanical devices that control the flow of liquids, gases, or loose material through pipes or channels by blocking and uncovering openings.
- The movable part or element of such a device.