- one of the two or more separable pieces composing certain shells.
- either half of the silicified shell of a diatom.
- one of the segments into which a capsule dehisces.
- a flap or lidlike part of certain anthers.
verb (used with object), valved, valv·ing.
LEARN THE SPANISH WORDS FOR THESE COMMON ANIMALS!
Origin of valve
OTHER WORDS FROM valvevalveless, adjectivevalvelike, adjectiveun·der·valve, noun
Words nearby valve
Example sentences from the Web for valve
Such and such a time, such and such a day, then trouble with the valve.Alfred Hitchcock’s Fade to Black: The Great Director’s Final Days|David Freeman|December 13, 2014|DAILY BEAST
When he finally opened the valve, he says, the team was able to cool the core for the first time since the crisis began.
People with valve problems develop heart murmurs and may eventually need valve replacement.
When the valve is in its middle position it generally more than covers the steam ports.An Introduction to Machine Drawing and Design|David Allan Low
One in which the steam pressure on the top and bottom of the valve is nearly equalized.The Traveling Engineers' Association|Anonymous
The valve and pressure gauge had been recovered after a considerable search, and the tank could be refilled with the others.The Wailing Octopus|Harold Leland Goodwin
The reader must remember that the valve shown in the section is only diagrammatic.How it Works|Archibald Williams
Having opened the vent pipe valve and relieved the pressure, open the valve in the water filling tube.Oxy-Acetylene Welding and Cutting|Harold P. Manly
British Dictionary definitions for valve
- any of the several parts that make up a dry dehiscent fruit, esp a capsule
- either of the two halves of a diatom cell wall
Derived forms of valvevalveless, adjectivevalvelike, adjective
Word Origin for valve
Medical definitions for valve
Scientific definitions for valve
- Any of various mechanical devices that control the flow of liquids, gases, or loose material through pipes or channels by blocking and uncovering openings.
- The movable part or element of such a device.