- resembling smallpox, as a lesion.
Origin of variolate
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Words for variolateinoculate, protect, immunize, treat, inject, prevent, mitigate, variolate
Examples from the Web for variolate
Historical Examples of variolate
Variolate -ose: with large, rounded impressions like pock-marks.Explanation of Terms Used in Entomology
John. B. Smith
- (tr) to inoculate with the smallpox virus
- marked or pitted with or as if with the scars of smallpox
Word Origin for variolate
C18: from variola
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Having pustules or pitted scars like those of smallpox.
- To inoculate with smallpox virus.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.