- the state or quality of being weak; lack of strength, firmness, vigor, or the like; feebleness.
- an inadequate or defective quality, as in a person's character; slight fault or defect: to show great sympathy for human weaknesses.
- a self-indulgent liking or special fondness, as for a particular thing: I've always had a weakness for the opera.
- an object of special desire; something very difficult to resist: Chocolates were her weakness.
Origin of weakness
Synonyms for weaknessSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Antonyms for weakness
Related Words for weaknessflaw, vulnerability, lapse, lack, fragility, gap, deficiency, shortcoming, frailty, instability, failing, liking, taste, languor, prostration, appetite, penchant, imperfection, feebleness, passion
Examples from the Web for weakness
Contemporary Examples of weakness
In fact, experts in airport security have long worried about this weakness.A Gift to the Jihadis: The Unseen Airport Security Threat
December 27, 2014
Koenig apologies for what she seems to treat as a sign of weakness.Adnan Killed Her! No, Jay Did It! Serial’s Uncertain, True-to-Reality End
December 18, 2014
A situation like the current one is likely to accentuate his weakness.After the Israel Synagogue Massacre: A New Intifada?
November 19, 2014
Hollywood, in particular, has always had a weakness for helping its own.Trustafarians Want to Tell You How to Live
October 31, 2014
So Kimberlin turned on Walker, quickly discovering his weakness.The Weirdest Story About a Conservative Obsession, a Convicted Bomber, and Taylor Swift You Have Ever Read
August 30, 2014
Historical Examples of weakness
Making an effort to rise, he seemed surprised at his own weakness.Philothea
Lydia Maria Child
In spite of her calculations, in spite of her love of money, he could make her feel her weakness.The Spenders
Harry Leon Wilson
Would he be strong or weak; and what would be weakness, and what strength, in a position so strange?Malbone
Thomas Wentworth Higginson
You have summoned me in my weakness; you must sustain me by your strength.
Be happy, and rejoice in your weakness—but turn now to the strong for strength.
- the state or quality of being weak
- a deficiency or failing, as in a person's character
- a self-indulgent fondness or likinga weakness for chocolates
Word Origin and History for weakness
Idioms and Phrases with weakness
see have a weakness for.