- the state or quality of being weak; lack of strength, firmness, vigor, or the like; feebleness.
- an inadequate or defective quality, as in a person's character; slight fault or defect: to show great sympathy for human weaknesses.
- a self-indulgent liking or special fondness, as for a particular thing: I've always had a weakness for the opera.
- an object of special desire; something very difficult to resist: Chocolates were her weakness.
Origin of weakness
SynonymsSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for weaknesses
"Both have their own strengths and weaknesses," Harding wrote.Jameis Winston Cleared of Rape Like Every Other College Sports Star
December 22, 2014
They say your strengths can become your weaknesses, but in my case, perhaps my weaknesses have become my strengths.Michael C. Hall on Going Drag for ‘Hedwig and the Angry Inch’ and Exorcising ‘Dexter’
December 4, 2014
What were his weaknesses as a military commander: was it hubris?Napoleon Was a Dynamite Dictator
November 7, 2014
“All TV and film adaptations have their strengths and weaknesses,” Waters says.Sarah Waters: Queen of the Tortured Lesbian Romance
September 30, 2014
Gaga is especially convincing at slower tempos, and this is where weaknesses in phrasing are typically most exposed.Can Lady Gaga Do Jazz?
September 22, 2014
He was used to dealing with pique in women, and had found it the most manageable of weaknesses.Malbone
Thomas Wentworth Higginson
She knew him now—all his small indolences, his affectations, his weaknesses.K
Mary Roberts Rinehart
There is nothing like building our fortune on the weaknesses of mankind.'Life And Adventures Of Martin Chuzzlewit
It is entirely free from the weaknesses of the ordinary Sunday school book.The Widow O'Callaghan's Boys
Ought he not to be dead to all the weaknesses of this world?Abbe Mouret's Transgression
- the state or quality of being weak
- a deficiency or failing, as in a person's character
- a self-indulgent fondness or likinga weakness for chocolates
Word Origin and History for weaknesses
Idioms and Phrases with weaknesses
see have a weakness for.