- a woven fabric, especially a whole piece of cloth in the course of being woven or after it comes from the loom.
- the flat woven strip, without pile, often found at one or both ends of an Oriental rug.
- the series of barbs on each side of the shaft of a feather.
- the series on both sides, collectively.
verb (used with object), webbed, web·bing.
verb (used without object), webbed, web·bing.
HEED THE VOX POPULI, AND TAKE THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ!
Origin of web
historical usage of web
OTHER WORDS FROM webweb·less, adjectiveweb·like, adjective
Words nearby web
Example sentences from the Web for web
He was referring to web censorship behind the Great Firewall.
The caller mentioned my work, which focused primarily on consumer products, mobile apps, emerging start-ups, and web trends.A Female Writer’s New Milestone: Her First Death Threat|Annie Gaus|December 1, 2014|DAILY BEAST
White-bread ISIS recruits, culled from the wastelands of Web 2.0, call that tidy division into terrible question.
The Daily Beast picks the best journalism from around the web this week.
The reality star bared her infamous behind on the cover of Paper magazine, and the web went wild.Kim Kardashian Bares Her Shiny, Bounteous Butt, Breaks the Internet|Marlow Stern|November 12, 2014|DAILY BEAST
In captivity, having no web, it actually flees before its prey, and has not the resolution to confront a fly.The Insect|Jules Michelet
She brought the ladle over the rim of the sieve and lowered it until it all but touched the middle of the web.The Unwilling Vestal|Edward Lucas White
The story of the Nibelungenlied, however, is not a chain but a web.The Epic|Lascelles Abercrombie
Here, then, was a web strangely woven by the fingers of a wayward fate.
Babette became more and more interesting, wrapped round in a web of romance.Fairy Tales from the German Forests|Margaret Arndt
British Dictionary definitions for web
- a continuous strip of paper as formed on a paper machine or fed from a reel into some printing presses
- (as modifier)web offset; a web press
- the web (often capital) short for World Wide Web
- (as modifier)a web site; web pages
verb webs, webbing or webbed
Derived forms of webwebless, adjectiveweblike, adjective
Word Origin for web
Medical definitions for web
Scientific definitions for web
Cultural definitions for web