- the business of selling to retailers, especially in large quantities (distinguished from retailing).
Origin of wholesaling
- the sale of goods in quantity, as to retailers or jobbers, for resale (opposed to retail).
- of, relating to, or engaged in sale by wholesale.
- extensive; broadly indiscriminate: wholesale discharge of workers.
- in a wholesale way; on wholesale terms: I can get it for you wholesale.
- in large quantities; on a large scale, especially without discrimination: Wild horses were slaughtered wholesale.
- to sell by wholesale.
Origin of wholesale
Synonyms for wholesaleSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Words for wholesalingprofitable, financial, wholesale, monetary, economic, business, exchange, marketing, industry, economics, trade, traffic, advertise, retail, display, vend, handle, auction, move
Examples from the Web for wholesaling
Historical Examples of wholesaling
Each Forest is going to be a big and complicated business, like railroading or wholesaling.The Rules of the Game
Stewart Edward White
- the business of selling goods to retailers in larger quantities than they are sold to final consumers but in smaller quantities than they are purchased from manufacturersCompare retail (def. 1)
- at wholesale
- in large quantities
- at wholesale prices
- of, relating to, or engaged in such business
- made, done, etc, on a large scale or without discrimination
- on a large scale or without discrimination
- to sell (goods) at wholesale
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for wholesaling
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
The sale of merchandise to retailers rather than directly to the public.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.