verb (used with object), wrote or (Archaic) writ; writ·ten or (Archaic) writ; writ·ing.
verb (used without object), wrote or (Archaic) writ; writ·ten or (Archaic) writ; writ·ing.
- to vote for (a candidate not listed on the ballot) by writing his or her name on the ballot.
- to include in or add to a text by writing: Do not write in corrections on the galley.
- to request something by mail: If interested, please write in for details.
- to cancel an entry in an account, as an unpaid and uncollectable debt.
- to regard as worthless, lost, obsolete, etc.; decide to forget: to write off their bad experience.
- to amortize: The new equipment was written off in three years.
- to put into writing.
- to write in full form; state completely.
- to exhaust the capacity or resources of by excessive writing: He's just another author who has written himself out.
- to put into writing, especially in full detail: My boss asked me to write up a report for the meeting on Monday, so I cancelled my plans and worked on it all weekend.
- to present to public notice in a written description or account.
- to document a violation, complaint, or charge against, especially in a recommendation for disciplinary action: Is it true that you were written up by your French teacher because you set a classroom dictionary on fire?
- Accounting. to make an excessive valuation of (an asset).
BECOME A PRO CHEF WITH THIS EXQUISITE CUISINE QUIZ!
Origin of write
OTHER WORDS FROM writemis·write, verb (used with object), mis·wrote, mis·writ·ten, mis·writ·ing.
Words nearby write
Example sentences from the Web for write
“It was ludicrous,” Troye now says, but she helped write it.A devastating picture of Trump’s coronavirus response — from a firsthand witness|Aaron Blake|September 17, 2020|Washington Post
He has been writing during unusual times, even before the pandemic spread earlier this year.The first volume of Barack Obama’s long-awaited memoir finally has a release date|Rachel King|September 17, 2020|Fortune
I’ve written before about the remarkable acceleration of digital transformation that’s taken place during the pandemic.Why Accenture thinks the ‘Henry Ford moment of the digital era’ is coming|Alan Murray|September 17, 2020|Fortune
It is fully collapsible, lightweight and offers a bold graphic “LAUNDRY” written on the side of the bin.Attractive laundry hampers that make your dirty clothes look a little better|PopSci Commerce Team|September 16, 2020|Popular Science
We have written time and time again about the role good goaltending plays in a successful Stanley Cup run.Teams Don’t Win The Stanley Cup With A Goal Deficit. Can The Dallas Stars Change That?|Terrence Doyle|September 16, 2020|FiveThirtyEight
At some point during his busy schedule, Israel found the time to write a book, titled The Global War on Morris.Powerful Congressman Writes About ‘Fleshy Breasts’|Asawin Suebsaeng|January 7, 2015|DAILY BEAST
My publisher had asked, “If you wanted to write another book, what would you want to write about?”
You write a lot about how you were a jerk or a snob when it came to comedy or film.
What made you want to write a memoir now about your “addiction” to film?
And “what kind of person,” Steinberg asks, “dares to write a sequel to the Bible?”
It was Luke Marner himself who was going to America, and was going to write home to clear him.Through the Fray|G. A. Henty
If I was to write to my mother,' says he, 'that my wife had left me, I believe it would be the death of her.The Land of Long Ago|Eliza Calvert Hall
My wife refuses to write to you for another thousand, and she must take the consequences.The Shepherd of Salisbury Plain and Other Tales|Hannah More
So I think I did a good job and made a lot of friends, who used to write to me from there.Warren Commission (9 of 26): Hearings Vol. IX (of 15)|The President's Commission on the Assassination of President Kennedy
Yankee ladies came down from the North and taught us to read and write.
British Dictionary definitions for write
verb writes, writing, wrote or written
Derived forms of writewritable, adjective
Word Origin for write
Idioms and Phrases with write
In addition to the idioms beginning with write
- write down
- write in
- write off
- write one's own ticket
- write out
- write up
- nothing to write home about
Also see underwrote.