- (an emphatic appositive of you or ye1): a letter you yourself wrote.
- a reflexive form of you (used as the direct or indirect object of a verb or the object of a preposition): Don't blame yourself. Did you ever ask yourself “why”? You can think for yourself.
- Informal. (used in place of you, especially in compound subjects, objects, and complements): Ted and yourself have been elected. We saw your sister and yourself at the game. People like yourselves always feel like that.
- (used in absolute constructions): Yourself having so little money, how could they expect you to help?
- your normal or customary self: You'll soon be yourself again.
- (used in place of you after as, than, or but): scholars as famous as yourselves; a girl no older than yourself.
- oneself: The surest way is to do it yourself.
Origin of yourself
Examples from the Web for yourself
Contemporary Examples of yourself
To judge her acting abilities for yourself, check out her videos on YouTube for “Sex Shooter.”Speed Read: The Juiciest Bits From the History of ‘Purple Rain’
January 1, 2015
Marriage is a bond and a commitment—marrying yourself is ridiculous because you are already married to yourself.Why Singles Should Say ‘I Don’t’ to The Self-Marriage Movement
December 30, 2014
Now imagine that one day hope appeared, an unexpected opportunity to free yourself, to finally be yourself.The Insurance Company Promised a Gender Reassignment. Then They Made a Mistake.
December 29, 2014
If you think of yourself as more than a knuckle-dragging Neanderthal, you can stand up and be respectful.Hey, Creeps, ‘Compliments’ Are Harassment, Too
November 5, 2014
If you recognize any of the above behaviors in yourself, seeking the help of a medical professional should be your first step.Orthorexia: When Healthy Eating Becomes an Obsession
October 25, 2014
Historical Examples of yourself
Look out you don't get mixed up in it yourself, that's all I ask.
"Alcibiades had a more eager curiosity than yourself," replied Eudora.
When you return, you will find a trifling token of remembrance for yourself and Philothea.
As the train started he swung himself off with a sad little "Be good to yourself!"
This touches me the more sensibly, because you yourself, my dear, are so ready to persuade me into it.Clarissa, Volume 1 (of 9)
- the reflexive form of you
- (intensifier)you yourself control your destiny
- (preceded by a copula) your normal or usual selfyou're not yourself these days