- to separate (a material or abstract entity) into constituent parts or elements; determine the elements or essential features of (opposed to synthesize): to analyze an argument.
- to examine critically, so as to bring out the essential elements or give the essence of: to analyze a poem.
- to examine carefully and in detail so as to identify causes, key factors, possible results, etc.
- to subject to mathematical, chemical, grammatical, etc., analysis.
- to psychoanalyze: a patient who has been analyzed by two therapists.
Origin of analyze
Synonyms for analyze
Antonyms for analyze
Examples from the Web for analyse
Historical Examples of analyse
Analyse the case, and then take both sides in turn, attacking and defending.'Meditations
Analyse the differences of opinion implied in the above passage.Logic
Analyse this statement in its bearing upon the play-producing societies.
The work here referred to is the Analyse des quations dtermines (Paris, 1831).A Budget of Paradoxes, Volume II (of II)
Augustus de Morgan
Analyse him with syntax and dictionary, and you will find "mistakes" and startling neology.August Strindberg, the Spirit of Revolt
L. (Lizzy) Lind-af-Hageby
- to examine in detail in order to discover meaning, essential features, etc
- to break down into components or essential featuresto analyse a financial structure
- to make a mathematical, chemical, grammatical, etc, analysis of
- another word for psychoanalyse
Word Origin for analyse
Word Origin and History for analyse
chiefly British English spelling of analyze (q.v.).
Analyse is better than analyze, but merely as being the one of the two equally indefensible forms that has won. The correct but now impossible form would be analysize (or analysise), with analysist for existing analyst. [Fowler]
c.1600, "to dissect," from French analyser, from analyse (see analysis). Literature sense is attested from 1610s; meaning in chemistry dates from 1660s. General sense of "to examine closely" dates from 1809; psychological sense is from 1909. Related: Analyzed; analyzing.