- of or relating to any of various substances used in the treatment of psychosis, especially schizophrenia, and acute or severe states of mania, depression, or paranoia.
- Also called major tranquilizer, neuroleptic. any such substance, as the phenothiazines.
Origin of antipsychotic
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for antipsychotic
- preventing or treating psychosis
- any antipsychotic drug, such as chlorpromazine: used to treat such conditions as schizophrenia
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Counteracting or diminishing the symptoms of a psychotic disorder such as schizophrenia, paranoia, or bipolar disorder.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.