verb (used without object)
verb (used with object)
- unpackaged: Fresh orange juice is shipped from Florida in bulk.
- in large quantities: Those who buy in bulk receive a discount.
Origin of bulk1
Examples from the Web for bulking
His youthful views seem merely that, youthful, like his habit of drinking milk in hope of bulking up his slight, small frame.
The unemployed problem was bulking bigger than usual to the citizens of San Francisco.Michael, Brother of Jerry|Jack London
Straight as an arrow, bulking large upon a little gray mare, he moved not the fraction of an inch with the question.Bred of the Desert|Marcus Horton
Slowly, they groped to him, great shadowy forms in wool and leather, bulking over Cappen like storm-gods.The Valor of Cappen Varra|Poul William Anderson
British Dictionary definitions for bulking (1 of 2)
British Dictionary definitions for bulking (2 of 2)
- the thickness of a number of sheets of paper or cardboard
- the thickness of a book excluding its covers
- in large quantities
- (of a cargo, etc) unpackaged
Word Origin for bulk
Idioms and Phrases with bulking
see in bulk.