- a numbering or assessing by the head.
- a poll tax.
- a fee or payment of a uniform amount for each person.
Origin of capitation
Related Words for capitationduty, levy, fine, price, rate, cost, contribution, expense, tariff, excise, obligation, salvage, bite, custom, tribute, toll, impost, assessment, dues, imposition
Examples from the Web for capitation
Historical Examples of capitation
Provision was made for the capitation tax in the Constitution of 1867-68.
No class was exempt from taxation—no dignity or privilege from capitation.The Thirty Years War, Complete
These are the capitation tax on sheep, and the export duties on wine and silk.Cyprus
Franz von Lher
No taxes were to be levied on them except the capitation tax.The Turkish Empire, its Growth and Decay
Since the peace, she has taken off but a single vingtième, or shilling in the pound, and some small matter in the capitation.
- a tax levied on the basis of a fixed amount per head
- capitation grant a grant of money given to every person who qualifies under certain conditions
- the process of assessing or numbering by counting heads
Word Origin for capitation
Word Origin and History for capitation
1610s, "counting of heads," from Late Latin capitationem (nominative capitatio), noun of action from past participle stem of a verb derived from caput "head" (see capitulum). Meaning "levying of a poll tax" is from 1640s.