- the integral part of a common logarithm.Compare mantissa.
- the exponent of 10 in a number expressed in scientific notation.
- the smallest positive integer n such that each element of a given ring added to itself n times results in 0.
Origin of characteristic
Synonyms for characteristic
Related Words for characteristicsstyle, essence, tendency, nature, attribute, component, peculiarity, virtue, aspect, temperament, tone, flavor, quality, symptom, personality, streak, bearing, individuality, bent, point
Examples from the Web for characteristics
Contemporary Examples of characteristics
This is exciting because it seems that this turmeric compound can enhance the characteristics of NSCs.Fish Oil, Turmeric, and Ginseng, Oh My! Are ‘Brain Foods’ B.S.?
Dr. Anand Veeravagu, MD
October 10, 2014
The association was statistically significant and held up even when adjusted for age and other characteristics.How Big Pharma Holds Back in the War on Cancer
April 23, 2014
Subject has athletic build, calloused knuckles, broken nose – characteristics of martial arts practitioners.Russia Tells ‘Tourists’ How to Go Fight in Ukraine
April 13, 2014
I heard so much about him, and everyone says that I inherited a lot of characteristics from him.How I Write: Jane Goodall
April 9, 2014
In psychological terms, these characteristics are found in sociopaths and narcissists.No, Affluenza Is Not a Real Thing
Dr. Michelle K. London
December 16, 2013
Historical Examples of characteristics
What characteristics of cereals make them valuable in the diet?Woman's Institute Library of Cookery, Vol. 1
Woman's Institute of Domestic Arts and Sciences
All these characteristics are lacking in the works after "Timon."The Man Shakespeare
These characteristics gave him a somewhat formidable aspect.Casanova's Homecoming
And force, all force has two characteristics: it desires to do, it wishes to think.Initiation into Philosophy
Her features were without noticeable American characteristics.Bride of the Mistletoe
James Lane Allen
- the integral part of a common logarithm, indicating the order of magnitude of the associated numberthe characteristic of 2.4771 is 2 Compare mantissa
- another name for exponent, used esp in number representation in computing