- logically connected; consistent: a coherent argument.
- having a natural or due agreement of parts; harmonious: a coherent design.
- cohering; sticking together: a coherent mass of sticky candies.
- Physics, Optics. of or relating to waves that maintain a fixed phase relationship, as in coherent light, or light in which the electromagnetic waves maintain a fixed and predictable phase relationship with each other over a period of time.See also laser.
Origin of coherent
Related Words for coherentrational, intelligible, lucid, logical, orderly, systematic, comprehensible, meaningful, consistent, reasoned, articulate, organized, sound, identified
Examples from the Web for coherent
Contemporary Examples of coherent
He said the failure to develop a coherent immigration policy would have a devastating impact.Pope’s Blistering Attack on ‘Haggard’ Europe
November 26, 2014
The story of the fire was certainly not complete, but it was at least coherent, and three of our halftones adorned Page 1.The Stacks: H.L. Mencken on the 1904 Baltimore Fire
October 4, 2014
Eventually, ISIS will collapse as a coherent and effective force.Airstrikes Against ISIS Are Tactics. Here's a Strategy
Daniel L. Davis
September 15, 2014
These portentous rumblings aside, no coherent position on ectogenesis has emerged so far within the pro-life movement.The Artificial Womb Will Change Feminism Forever
August 12, 2014
These constitutions do not amount to a coherent intellectual tradition.One U.S. Constitution Just Wasn’t Enough
July 4, 2014
Historical Examples of coherent
His conversation for a moment or two was also coherent and timely.In the Valley
Of course the conversation in Platitudes must be connected and coherent.
He tried to speak, but what he said was not coherent nor particularly intelligible.Shavings
Joseph C. Lincoln
She tried to speak, but her words were hardly audible or coherent.The Eternal City
But her brain was too numbed for reasoning and for coherent thought.A Bride of the Plains
Baroness Emmuska Orczy
- capable of logical and consistent speech, thought, etc
- logical; consistent and orderly
- cohering or sticking together
- physics (of two or more waves) having the same phase or a fixed phase differencecoherent light
- (of a system of units) consisting only of units the quotient or product of any two of which yield the unit of the resultant quantity