- agreement between persons, groups, nations, etc.; concurrence in attitudes, feelings, etc.; unanimity; accord: There was complete concord among the delegates.
- agreement between things; mutual fitness; harmony.
- Grammar. agreement(def 6).
- peace; amity.
- a treaty; compact; covenant.
- Music. a stable, harmonious combination of tones; a chord requiring no resolution.
Origin of concord
SynonymsSee more synonyms for concord on Thesaurus.com
4. harmony, goodwill, friendship.
4. ill will, animosity.
[kong-kerd for 1, 2, 5, 6; kon-kawrd, kong- for 3, 4; for 5, 6 also kon-kawrd, kong-]
- a town in E Massachusetts, NW of Boston: second battle of the Revolution fought here April 19, 1775.
- a city in W California, near San Francisco.
- a city in and the capital of New Hampshire, in the S part.
- a city in central North Carolina.
- Concord grape.
- a sweet red wine with a strong grapelike taste, made from the Concord grape.
- a state in the NE United States. 9304 sq. mi. (24,100 sq. km). Capital: Concord. Abbreviation: NH (for use with zip code), N.H.
- one of an American breed of chestnut-red chickens raised for meat and eggs.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for concord
That ‘anyplace past Concord’ faces the exact same set of issues.New Hampshire Says ‘No’ to Interloper Scott Brown
November 5, 2014
Palace, for those unfamiliar with the series, is a still wet-behind-the-ears detective in Concord, New Hampshire.What Would You Do if the World Was Over?
August 5, 2014
The beach parking lot was someplace out near the Lexington and Concord battlefields.Why I Hate The Beach
P. J. O’Rourke
July 27, 2014
America is in urgent need of more stringent gun control laws, as the British discovered at Lexington and Concord.P.J. O'Rourke: 27 Sensitive, Caring, Green, and Politically Committed Reasons to Ban July 4th
P. J. O’Rourke
July 3, 2014
A condo six blocks away from Concord Baptist church recently sold for $1.04 million.The Hope and Danger of Electing Bill de Blasio as New York City Mayor
October 7, 2013
Why, Jim, they've got more hogs up Concord way than they know what to do with.Uncles Josh's Punkin Centre Stories
Another summer should bring Concord, surely, and perhaps Plymouth too.
He was born in Concord, Massachusetts, on the 12th of July, 1817.
Then in our city the language of harmony and concord will be more often heard than in any other.The Republic
Now, even that was revealed to be in concord with his herculean bulk.Blood and Iron
John Hubert Greusel
- agreement or harmony between people or nations; amity
- a treaty establishing peaceful relations between nations
- agreement or harmony between things, ideas, etc
- music a combination of musical notes, esp one containing a series of consonant intervalsCompare discord (def. 3)
- grammar another word for agreement (def. 6)
C13: from Old French concorde, from Latin concordia, from concors of the same mind, harmonious, from com- same + cor heart
- a town in NE Massachusetts: scene of one of the opening military actions (1775) of the War of American Independence. Pop: 16 937 (2003 est)
- a city in New Hampshire, the state capital: printing, publishing. Pop: 41 823 (2003 est)
- a state of the northeastern US: generally hilly. Capital: Concord. Pop: 1 287 687 (2003 est). Area: 23 379 sq km (9027 sq miles)Abbreviation: N.H., (with zip code) NH
Word Origin and History for concord
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
One of the thirteen colonies.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.