- to make more dense or compact; reduce the volume or extent of; concentrate.
- to reduce to a shorter form; abridge: Condense your answer into a few words.
- to reduce to another and denser form, as a gas or vapor to a liquid or solid state.
- to become denser or more compact or concentrated.
- to reduce a book, speech, statement, or the like, to a shorter form.
- to become liquid or solid, as a gas or vapor: The steam condensed into droplets.
Origin of condense
Synonyms for condenseSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Antonyms for condense
Related Words for condenseshorten, summarize, curtail, compress, thicken, trim, abbreviate, reduce, snip, digest, compact, cut, sum, inventory, precipitate, shrink, solidify, concentrate, coagulate, encapsulate
Examples from the Web for condense
Contemporary Examples of condense
She speaks in thick paragraphs that her staffers probably wish they could condense and sharpen at times.Could a Pro-Pot Lesbian Become the Next Governor of Maryland?
March 11, 2014
I cannot condense the horror of either the Bosnian war or the Rwandan genocide in the length of this column.Pity Boston, Ignore Nigeria: The Limits of Compassion
Janine di Giovanni
April 28, 2013
They get an actor on the schedule at their budgets where they try to condense roles.Billy Zane Opens Up About ‘Titanic,’ ‘Zoolander,’ and the Lost Decade
April 4, 2012
Historical Examples of condense
It is hard to condense the social habits of peoples into a few dozen pages.The Truth About Woman
C. Gasquoine Hartley
We will condense, for the benefit of the reader, the information of Mr. Leverton.Vivian Grey
Earl of Beaconsfield, Benjamin Disraeli
We must, however, condense the matter, which was very voluminous.The Pirate and The Three Cutters
What I have done is to condense some of that vapor into a solid.Spawn of the Comet
Harold Thompson Rich
Yet in order to condense the steam there must be a cooling of the vessel.The Age of Invention
- (tr) to increase the density of; compress
- to reduce or be reduced in volume or size; make or become more compact
- to change or cause to change from a gaseous to a liquid or solid state
- chem to undergo or cause to undergo condensation