• synonyms


[kuh n-volv]
See more synonyms for convolve on Thesaurus.com
verb (used with or without object), con·volved, con·volv·ing.
  1. to roll or wind together; coil; twist.
Show More

Origin of convolve

1590–1600; < Latin convolvere, equivalent to con- con- + volvere to roll, turn, twist
Related formscon·volve·ment, noun
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018

British Dictionary definitions for convolve


  1. to wind or roll together; coil; twist
Show More

Word Origin

C16: from Latin convolvere; see convolute
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012