- a person or thing that creams.
- a small jug, pitcher, etc., for holding cream.
- a container or apparatus for separating cream from milk.
- a refrigerator in which milk is placed to facilitate the formation of cream.
- a nondairy product in powder or liquid form, made chiefly from corn syrup solids and used as a substitute for cream, especially for coffee cream.
Origin of creamer
- the fatty part of milk, which rises to the surface when the liquid is allowed to stand unless homogenized.
- a soft solid or thick liquid containing medicaments or other specific ingredients, applied externally for a prophylactic, therapeutic, or cosmetic purpose.
- Usually creams. a soft-centered confection of fondant or fudge coated with chocolate.
- a purée or soup containing cream or milk: cream of tomato soup.
- the best part of anything: the cream of society.
- a yellowish white; light tint of yellow or buff.
- to form cream.
- to froth; foam.
- Informal. to advance or favor only the wealthiest, most skilled or talented, etc., especially so as to reap the benefits oneself: Management is creaming by advancing only the most productive workers.
- Also cream one's jeans. Slang: Vulgar.
- to have an orgasm, especially to ejaculate or experience glandular lubrication of the vagina.
- to be overcome, as in rapturous admiration or delight.
- to work (butter and sugar, or the like) to a smooth, creamy mass.
- to prepare (chicken, oysters, vegetables, etc.) with cream, milk, or a cream sauce.
- to allow (milk) to form cream.
- to skim (milk).
- to separate as cream.
- to take the cream or best part of.
- to use a cosmetic cream on.
- to add cream to (tea, coffee, etc.).
- to beat or damage severely; lambaste.
- to defeat decisively.
- to accomplish, especially to pass (a test or course), with great ease and success: She creamed the math test, getting the highest grade in the class.
- of the color cream; cream-colored.
- cream of the crop, the best or choicest: a college that accepts only students who are the cream of the crop.
Origin of cream
Related Words for creamertopnotch, outstanding, exclusive, selected, preferred, selective, eclectic, privileged, beige, drab, khaki, brownish, tan, cream, taupe, camel, off-white, prime, champion, top
Examples from the Web for creamer
Historical Examples of creamer
Creamer, here, started a little while ago to find out what you had shot.Adrift in the Ice-Fields
Charles W. Hall
Biddy, git the creamer from the well and give the genl'man a glass of milk.Rose Charlitte
It was learned that all the Creamer children save Mabel had the measles.The Corner House Girls
Grace Brooks Hill
Mrs. Creamer's balls were, as Norman had once said, the balls of the season.
"He says he knows Wickersham--your friend," said Mr. Creamer, with a sly look at Norman.
- a vessel or device for separating cream from milk
- a powdered substitute for cream, used in coffee
- mainly US and Canadian a small jug or pitcher for serving cream
- the fatty part of milk, which rises to the top if the milk is allowed to stand
- (as modifier)cream buns
- anything resembling cream in consistencyshoe cream; beauty cream
- the best one or most essential part of something; pickthe cream of the bunch; the cream of the joke
- a soup containing cream or milkcream of chicken soup
- any of various dishes, cakes, biscuits, etc, resembling or containing cream
- a confection made of fondant or soft fudge, often covered in chocolate
- cream sherry a full-bodied sweet sherry
- a yellowish-white colour
- (as adjective)cream wallpaper
- (tr) to skim or otherwise separate the cream from (milk)
- (tr) to beat (foodstuffs, esp butter and sugar) to a light creamy consistency
- (intr) to form cream
- (tr) to add or apply cream or any creamlike substance toto cream one's face; to cream coffee
- (tr sometimes foll by off) to take away the best part of
- (tr) to prepare or cook (vegetables, chicken, etc) with cream or milk
- to allow (milk) to form a layer of cream on its surface or (of milk) to form such a layer
- (tr) slang, mainly US, Canadian and Australian to beat thoroughly
- (intr) slang (of a man) to ejaculate during orgasm
Word Origin for cream
1858, "dish for skimming cream," agent noun from cream (v.). As "a pitcher for cream," from 1877.
early 14c., creyme, from Old French cresme (13c., Modern French crème) "chrism, holy oil," blend of Late Latin chrisma "ointment" (from Greek khrisma "unguent;" see chrism) and Late Latin cramum "cream," which is perhaps from Gaulish. Replaced Old English ream. Re-borrowed 19c. from French as creme. Figurative sense of "most excellent element or part" is from 1580s. Cream-cheese is from 1580s.
mid-15c., "to foam," from cream (n.). Meaning "to beat, thrash, wreck" is 1929, U.S. colloquial. Related: Creamed; creaming.
- The yellowish fatty component of unhomogenized milk that tends to accumulate at the surface.
- A pharmaceutical preparation consisting of a semisolid emulsion of either the oil-in-water or the water-in-oil type, ordinarily intended for topical use.