Definition of cycle
- a sequence of changing states that, upon completion, produces a final state identical to the original one.
- one of a succession of periodically recurring events.
- a complete alteration in which a phenomenon attains a maximum and minimum value, returning to a final value equal to the original one.
- the smallest interval of time required to complete an operation in a computer.
- a series of computer operations repeated as a unit.
Idioms about cycle
Origin of cycle
OTHER WORDS FROM cyclesu·per·cy·cle, noun
Words nearby cycle
How to use cycle in a sentence
For years, brands and agencies were caught in a self-defeating cycle, where agencies didn’t pitch gaming ideas to brands because they assumed brands didn’t know what to do with them.Why new agencies are trying to capitalize on the online gaming boom|jim cooper|February 12, 2021|Digiday
Oftentimes, you can soak your clothing, linen, or other fabrics in a pre-soak cycle, wash, and then enjoy the fresh-scented and stain-free result.
This is just the latest flashpoint in a cycle of delayed elections, public frustration and fraying political legitimacy in the impoverished Caribbean nation.
Our bodies groove to the familiar rhythms of heartbeats and breaths — persistent cycles essential to survival.Brain’s ‘Background Noise’ May Hold Clues to Persistent Mysteries|Elizabeth Landau|February 8, 2021|Quanta Magazine
This cycle of defensiveness and shame can make it harder to parent in that moment.Remote school is stressing parents out. Here’s how to tame the anxiety.|Devorah Heitner|February 8, 2021|Washington Post
It almost mirrors the Buddhist cycle of life, death, and rebirth.The Buddhist Business of Poaching Animals for Good Karma|Brendon Hong|December 28, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Eventually, the mistletoe bush grows, blooms, and forms berries, and the cycle begins anew.
The Newsroom aired its final episode on Sunday, already an eternity ago in news-cycle terms.A Few Great Men Too Many: Aaron Sorkin Doesn’t Think You Can Handle the Truth|Arthur Chu|December 21, 2014|DAILY BEAST
To break her self-destructive cycle and heal, she decides to hike 1,100 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail solo.Exclusive: The Making of Reese Witherspoon’s Golden Globe-Nominated ‘Wild’|Marlow Stern|December 12, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Especially given that we just spent almost $4 billion during the 2013-14 election cycle?
The sexual cycle can take place only within the body of one genus of mosquito, anopheles.
Here they enter red corpuscles as young malarial parasites, and the majority pass through the asexual cycle just described.
Still hanging to Clip's canteen, he jerked the motor-cycle away from the bushes, got into the saddle, and started the pedals.
Matt went down, with the motor-cycle on top of him, head and shoulders over the brink of the precipice.
Matt had come to a quick stop, disengaging his right foot from the toe-clip and bracing the motor-cycle upright.
British Dictionary definitions for cycle
- a set of operations that can be both treated and repeated as a unit
- the time required to complete a set of operations
- one oscillation of the regular voltage waveform used to synchronize processes in a digital computer