- causing or tending to cause death; fatal; lethal: a deadly poison.
- aiming to kill or destroy; implacable: a deadly enemy.
- like death: a deadly pallor.
- excruciatingly boring: The dinner party was absolutely deadly.
- excessive; inordinate: deadly haste.
- extremely accurate: Annie Oakley was a deadly shot.
- in a manner resembling or suggesting death: deadly pale.
- excessively; completely: deadly dull.
Origin of deadly
Synonyms for deadlySee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for deadlysavage, destructive, suicidal, murderous, pernicious, noxious, dangerous, poisonous, mortal, cruel, bloody, harmful, toxic, violent, malignant, virulent, lethal, fatal, carcinogenic, ghastly
Examples from the Web for deadly
Contemporary Examples of deadly
The comedian responded to the deadly attack on a French satirical magazine by renewing his recent criticisms of the Islamic faith.Bill Maher: Hundreds of Millions of Muslims Support Attack on ‘Charlie Hebdo’
January 8, 2015
Gunshots rang out in Paris this morning on a second day of deadly violence that has stunned the French capital.
Shortly after dawn, there was another outbreak of deadly force.
Whatever the reason, and however absurd their beliefs may seem, American evangelicals are deadly serious.The Evangelical Apocalypse Is All Your Fault
January 4, 2015
They now claim that Amanda actually wielded the knife and struck the deadly blow, increasing her sentence to 28-and-a-half years.Amanda Knox: A Mother’s Obsession
November 26, 2014
Historical Examples of deadly
The mosquito, quite ignored, would then have gone on in his deadly work.'Tis Sixty Years Since
Charles Francis Adams
A choice had been put before her in deadly earnest; she had refused to make one.Viviette
William J. Locke
Robin's pale, blank face had a sick look, a deadly smoothness.Life and Death of Harriett Frean
One of its most deadly weapons is fatigue, or the simulation of fatigue.The Conquest of Fear
So, she went through the inferno of days and nights in a dreariness of suffering that was deadly.Within the Law
- likely to cause deathdeadly poison; deadly combat
- informal extremely boring
- like death in appearance or certaintydeadly pale; a deadly sleep