- to speak damagingly of; criticize in a derogatory manner; sully; defame: to denigrate someone's character.
- to treat or represent as lacking in value or importance; belittle; disparage: to denigrate someone's contributions to a project.
- to make black; blacken: rain clouds denigrating the sky.
Origin of denigrate
SynonymsSee more synonyms for denigrate on Thesaurus.com
1. malign, besmirch, slander, traduce, disparage, vilify.
1. See decry.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- (tr) to belittle or disparage the character of; defame
- a rare word for blacken
C16: from Latin dēnigrāre to make very black, defame, from nigrāre to blacken, from niger black
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for denigrate
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper