- development of a theorem.
- differentiation (def. 2).
- the process or device of adding affixes to or changing the shape of a base, thereby assigning the result to a form class that may undergo further inflection or participate in different syntactic constructions, as in forming service from serve, song from sing, and hardness from hard (contrasted with inflection).
- the systematic description of such processes in a given language.
- a set of forms, including the initial form, intermediate forms, and final form, showing the successive stages in the generation of a sentence as the rules of a generative grammar are applied to it.
- the process by which such a set of forms is derived.
Origin of derivation
OTHER WORDS FROM derivationder·i·va·tion·al, adjectiveder·i·va·tion·al·ly, adverbpre·der·i·va·tion, noun
Words nearby derivation
How to use derivation in a sentence
I also had the nerve to find minor gaps in certain derivations that just didn’t sit right with me.How I Escaped My Troubles Through Science - Issue 104: Harmony|Subodh Patil|August 25, 2021|Nautilus
The French adopt the same derivation, calling it "asbeste" (minèral filamenteux et incombustible).Asbestos|Robert H. Jones
Its similarity with the numerous derivatives of the verb damno have probably obscured the true derivation of the word.A Cursory History of Swearing|Julian Sharman
His method is hence inductive,--the derivation of certain principles from a sum of given facts and phenomena.Beacon Lights of History, Volume I|John Lord
In a word, the term contains a series of expressive innuendos by its etymological derivation.Essays In Pastoral Medicine|Austin Malley
Another etymological example sometimes cited is the derivation of the English uncle from the Latin avus.A System of Logic: Ratiocinative and Inductive|John Stuart Mill
British Dictionary definitions for derivation
- the process of deducing a mathematical theorem, formula, etc, as a necessary consequence of a set of accepted statements
- this sequence of statements
- the operation of finding a derivative