- to determine the identity of (a disease, illness, etc.) by a medical examination: The doctor diagnosed the illness as influenza.
- to ascertain the cause or nature of (a disorder, malfunction, problem, etc.) from the symptoms: The mechanic diagnosed the trouble that caused the engine knock.
- to classify or determine on the basis of scientific examination.
- to make a diagnosis.
Origin of diagnose
Related Words for diagnosedpinpoint, recognize, pronounce, investigate, determine, analyze, distinguish, place, spot, interpret, determinate, diagnosticate
Examples from the Web for diagnosed
Contemporary Examples of diagnosed
A single father, he had been living abroad and returned when his mother was diagnosed with cancer.Everyone at This Dinner Party Has Lost Someone
January 6, 2015
What happens when someone with an eating disorder history is diagnosed with high cholesterol?You’re Never ‘Cured’ of an Eating Disorder
December 20, 2014
I was, she diagnosed, half joking and half horrified, a “digital hoarder.”I’m a Digital Hoarder
December 17, 2014
When I was first diagnosed with cancer I made the decision to share my story with strangers.Blogger Shares and Shames Cancer in ‘Lily’
December 9, 2014
As I described in an article over the summer when the fatal case in China was diagnosed, plague has three distinct clinical forms.Bubonic Plague Is Back (but It Never Really Left)
November 27, 2014
Historical Examples of diagnosed
"Injun's on top," he diagnosed sententiously after a minute.Good Indian
B. M. Bower
At Rossi's request Dr. Fedi had been called in, and he had diagnosed the case exactly.The Eternal City
The doctor was sent for and diagnosed the case "bilious fever."Mark Twain, A Biography, 1835-1910, Complete
Albert Bigelow Paine
I have, and I have diagnosed it as a case of mistaken identity.Whispering Smith
Frank H. Spearman
"I said I had just diagnosed it, not that it had just started, señor," corrected Sanchez.Wind
Charles Louis Fontenay
- to determine or distinguish by diagnosis
- (tr) to examine (a person or thing), as for a disease
1861, back-formation from diagnosis. Related: Diagnosed; diagnosing.
- To distinguish or identify a disease by diagnosis.
- To identify a person as having a particular disease or condition by diagnosis.