- the amount by which one quantity is greater or less than another.
- relative complement.
- (of a function f) an expression of the form f(x + h) − f(x).
verb (used with object), dif·fer·enced, dif·fer·enc·ing.
Words nearby difference
Idioms for difference
- to compromise, especially to make equal concessions.
- to divide the remainder equally: Let's take half of the cake and let the three of them split the difference.
Origin of difference
SYNONYMS FOR difference
synonym study for difference
Examples from the Web for difference
Again, the difference can seem subtle and sound more like splitting hairs, but the difference is important.How Skinny Is Too Skinny? Israel Bans ‘Underweight’ Models|Carrie Arnold|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
That is the difference between the protections embedded in our Bill of Rights and the lived lives of our citizenry.
But this may be a distinction without much of a difference—especially since Scalise admitted speaking before EURO.
The difference was emphasized immediately after QZ8501 went missing.The Presumed Crash of AirAsia Flight QZ8501 Is Nothing Like MH370|Lennox Samuels|December 29, 2014|DAILY BEAST
“I want to make a difference,” he told his friend Israel Marrero.
He has a keen and instinctive appreciation of the difference of social rank.The Red and the Black|Stendhal
The difference between articles of one or another description, is a difference in degree only.
What difference can it make to us, that the thing you call the Church dares to disregard it?Earl Hubert's Daughter|Emily Sarah Holt
But that makes no difference; Scipio did right, and you should tell him you forgive him.'
The Riches of that Grace, which has made all the Difference!
British Dictionary definitions for difference
- the result of the subtraction of one number, quantity, etc, from another
- the single number that when added to the subtrahend gives the minuend; remainder
- the set of members of the first that are not members of the secondSymbol: A – B
- symmetric difference the set of members of one but not both of the given setsOften symbolized: A + B
- to have an effect
- to treat differently
- to settle a dispute by a compromise
- to divide a remainder equally
Medical definitions for difference
Idioms and Phrases with difference
see make a difference; split the difference. Also see under different.