- any substance recognized in the official pharmacopoeia or formulary of the nation.
- any substance intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease in humans or other animals.
- any article, other than food, intended to affect the structure or any function of the body of humans or other animals.
- any substance intended for use as a component of such a drug, but not a device or a part of a device.
- chemical substances prepared and sold as pharmaceutical items, either by prescription or over the counter.
- personal hygienic items sold in a drugstore, as toothpaste, mouthwash, etc.
verb (used with object), drugged, drug·ging.
Origin of drug1
Definition for drugs (2 of 3)
verb Chiefly Midland and Southern U.S. Nonstandard.
Definition for drugs (3 of 3)
Origin of Drug
Examples from the Web for drugs
Nestled in the hills are small market towns like Buleda, dominated by Baluch who make a living smuggling diesel and drugs.The Dangerous Drug-Funded Secret War Between Iran and Pakistan|Umar Farooq|December 29, 2014|DAILY BEAST
This not only defrauds the state out of thousands of dollars, but also deprives the patient who needs the drugs.
New York State is going paperless, at least when it comes to drugs.
The money that drugs generate is their way to achieve the American Dream in a sort of twisted Scarface-type of fashion.The Mexican Mafia Is the Daddy of All Street Gangs|Seth Ferranti|December 11, 2014|DAILY BEAST
In March 1971, he starred in the TV special Bill Cosby Talks With Children About Drugs.When Bill Cosby N-Bombed the Congressional Black Caucus|Asawin Suebsaeng|December 2, 2014|DAILY BEAST
From the use of drugs in incantations and exorcisms the word pharmakeia, here denoting sorcery, took its meaning.The Expositor's Bible: The Epistle to the Galatians|G. G. Findlay
I recommend that a law be enacted to regulate inter-State commerce in misbranded and adulterated foods, drinks, and drugs.State of the Union Addresses of Theodore Roosevelt|Theodore Roosevelt
What I suffer to get I know to be life-food even if it drugs or pains or poisons me.I, Mary MacLane|Mary MacLane
It actually has emetic and cathartic properties, but even these are inferior to those possessed by many other drugs.
The vast majority of these drugs have not the slightest excuse for existence.Alcohol: A Dangerous and Unnecessary Medicine, How and Why|Martha M. Allen