noun, plural du·ties.
- an assigned task, occupation, or place of service: He was on radar duty for two years.
- the military service required of a citizen by a country: After graduation, he began his duty.
- the amount of work done by an engine per unit amount of fuel consumed.
- the measure of effectiveness of any machine.
Examples from the Web for duties
The NYPD and his duties required him to miss the graduation on December 20.
The pair had argued, and the assistant ceased performing this most onerous of duties.
Instead, he sees his ethical obligations as a matter of duties to those with whom we have relationships.
By most accounts, the Times newsroom has calmed since Baquet resumed his duties full time a few weeks after going under the knife.Dean Baquet, the NYT’s Executive Editor, on Jill Abramson, Race, Surviving Cancer—and TMZ Envy|Lloyd Grove|September 16, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Stephanopoulos will add the duties of Chief Anchor of ABC News to his responsibilities.
All this will give an idea of the variety of duties of a tea-planter.Ranching, Sport and Travel|Thomas Carson
I am satisfied now that my duties do not lie here, though the dear creatures here will be a constant motive for work and economy.George Eliot's Life, Vol. I (of 3)|George Eliot
Nevertheless he is called to be a "leader," with the responsibilities and duties of a leader.Messages from the Epistle to the Hebrews|Handley C.G. Moule
Highly to her credit, Mrs. Thrale did not omit any part of her own duties to her husband because he forgot his.Autobiography, Letters and Literary Remains of Mrs. Piozzi (Thrale) (2nd ed.) (2 vols.)|Mrs. Hester Lynch Piozzi
I fancy they discharge their duties in voting rather faithfully, though they do not often take part in caucuses or conventions.Literature and Life|William Dean Howells
British Dictionary definitions for duties
noun plural -ties
- the quantity or intensity of work for which a machine is designed
- a measure of the efficiency of a machine
- a job or service allocated
- (as modifier)duty rota
Word Origin for duty
Culture definitions for duties
A tax charged by a government, especially on an import.
Idioms and Phrases with duties
In addition to the idiom beginning with duty
- duty bound
- above and beyond (the call of duty)
- active duty
do one's dutydouble dutyoff dutyon duty.