- any of numerous herbivorous, orthopterous insects, especially of the families Acrididae and Tettigoniidae, having the hind legs adapted for leaping and having chewing mouth parts, some species being highly destructive to vegetation.Compare locust(def 1), long-horned grasshopper.
- a small, light airplane used on low-flying missions, as for reconnaissance.
- (initial capital letter) Military. a U.S. antipersonnel mine that jumps off the ground when activated by proximate body heat and sprays shrapnel over a lethal radius of 350 feet (107 meters).
- a cocktail of light cream, green crème de menthe, and white crème de menthe or crème de cacao.
Origin of grasshopper
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for grasshopper
Like Bieber, Assaf was discovered when he was still knee-high to a grasshopper.The Next Arab Idol: Palestine's Boy Wonder and Stereotype Buster
May 22, 2013
If the future reneges, people may decide that they might as well be a grasshopper, since the ant gets just as screwed.Our Demographic Decline
December 4, 2012
In some tellings, the grasshopper dies; in some, the ant saves him.America Hits the Reset Button
July 28, 2009
You are thinner than a grasshopper, and you won't make it any heavier.My Double Life
The grasshopper is banished to the garden and the Cheshire Cat smiles all over her face.Lotus Buds
The same type of mouth as the grasshopper has will be found among the beetles.The Meaning of Evolution
Samuel Christian Schmucker
There, in plain sight, he took the bait, as a trout might have taken a grasshopper.Tales of Fishes
He wants me to train him for his go with Grasshopper Jake, and I did.Shorty McCabe
- any orthopterous insect of the families Acrididae (short-horned grasshoppers) and Tettigoniidae (long-horned grasshoppers), typically terrestrial, feeding on plants, and producing a ticking sound by rubbing the hind legs against the leathery forewingsSee also locust (def. 1), katydid
- knee-high to a grasshopper informal very young or very small
- an iced cocktail of equal parts of crème de menthe, crème de cacao, and cream
- (modifier) unable to concentrate on any one subject for longa grasshopper mind
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for grasshopper
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
Idioms and Phrases with grasshopper
see knee-high to a grasshopper.
The American Heritage® Idioms Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company.