- covered with hair; having much hair.
- consisting of or resembling hair: moss of a hairy texture.
- causing anxiety or fright: a hairy trip through the rapids.
- full of hardship or difficulty: a hairy exam; a hairy illness.
Origin of hairy
SynonymsSee more synonyms for hairy on Thesaurus.com
1. furry, woolly, shaggy.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for hairiest
Sometimes more: the hairiest one was when I was directing as well.Tony Goldwyn Tackles Political Scandal Again on ‘The Divide’
July 16, 2014
They are the hairiest of men, and it is this peculiarity that makes us allude to them.The Human Race
The provincial distribution in Fiji follows that of face hair: the interior groups are hairiest and the eastern people least so.A Racial Study of the Fijians
Norman E. Gabel
To these the climate added bright yellow moccasins, and a fur coat of the hairiest, the whole costume keyed up to Sunday best.A Man in the Open
The Ainu are the hairiest of races, and there is nothing which they consider so beautiful as hair.Studies in the Psychology of Sex, Volume 4 (of 6)
These are the hairiest parts, or where, if there is anything annoying him, the horse can least of all apply relief himself.On Horsemanship
- having or covered with hair
- difficult or problematic
- scaring, dangerous, or exciting
Word Origin and History for hairiest
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Covered with hair or hairlike projections.
- Consisting of or resembling hair.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.