- a city in and the capital of Vietnam, in the N part, on the Songka River.
or Vi·et Nam
- Official name Socialist Republic of Vietnam. a country in SE Asia, comprising the former states of Annam, Tonkin, and Cochin-China: formerly part of French Indochina; divided into North Vietnam and South Vietnam during the Vietnam War but now reunified. 126,104 sq. mi. (326,609 sq. km). Capital: Hanoi.Compare North Vietnam, South Vietnam.
- Vietnam War.
- an area in SE Asia, formerly a French colonial federation including Cochin-China, the protectorates of Annam, Cambodia, Tonkin, and Laos, and the leased territory of Kwangchowan: now comprising the three independent states of Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos. Capital: Hanoi.
Examples from the Web for hanoi
Contemporary Examples of hanoi
On October 26 they were assigned to attack a power plant supplying the North Vietnamese capital, Hanoi.Russia’s Missiles Stung the World Long Before MH17
July 20, 2014
During the bus ride from Hanoi's airport I blurted out the whole story to Joanne.The Surprisingly Good Flight 370 Novel: Author Scott Maka Defends His Controversial Book
June 14, 2014
Third, we also know from the archives in Moscow, Havana and Hanoi, that Kennedy was right to resist his hawks.JFK’s Weak Body And Strong Spirit
James Blight, Janet Lang
November 15, 2013
Ho Chi Minh in Hanoi was a communist dictator, for sure, but had a genuine following.Is Obama Going to War Just to ‘Check the Box’?
August 31, 2013
He was one of the most grievously injured pilots to arrive in Hanoi.John McCain Pays Tribute to Bud Day
July 29, 2013
Historical Examples of hanoi
But his most enduring monument in Hanoi is the fine exposition buildings.
Hanoi, capital of Tonking, 10;one of the finest cities in the Far East, 13.
There was a court of appeal at Hanoi, and another at Saigon.
The principal towns are Hanoi, the capital of Tonquin, and Hu, the capital of the kingdom and formerly of the whole empire.
We have also made it clear--from Hanoi to New York--that there are no arbitrary limits to our search for peace.
- the capital of Vietnam, on the Red River: became capital of Tonkin in 1802, of French Indochina in 1887, of Vietnam in 1945, and of North Vietnam (1954–75); university (1917); industrial centre. Pop: 4 147 000 (2005 est)
- the territories of SE Asia that were colonized by France and held mostly until 1954: included Cochin China, Annam, and Tonkin (now largely Vietnam), Cambodia, Laos, and Kuang-Chou Wan (returned to China in 1945, now Zhanjiang)
- a republic in SE Asia: an ancient empire, conquered by France in the 19th century; occupied by Japan (1940–45) when the Communist-led Vietminh began resistance operations that were continued against restored French rule after 1945. In 1954 the country was divided along the 17th parallel, establishing North Vietnam (under the Vietminh) and South Vietnam (under French control), the latter becoming the independent Republic of Vietnam in 1955. From 1959 the country was dominated by war between the Communist Vietcong, supported by North Vietnam, and the South Vietnamese government; increasing numbers of US forces were brought to the aid of the South Vietnamese army until a peace agreement (1973) led to the withdrawal of US troops; further fighting led to the eventual defeat of the South Vietnamese government in March 1975 and in 1976 an elected National Assembly proclaimed the reunification of the country. Official language: Vietnamese. Religion: Buddhist majority. Currency: dong. Capital: Hanoi. Pop: 92 477 857 (2013 est). Area: 331 041 sq km (127 816 sq miles)Official name: Socialist Republic of Vietnam
Word Origin and History for hanoi
city in northern Vietnam, from Vietnamese Hà Nôi, literally "River Inside," from hà "river" + nôi "inside." So called in reference to its situation in a bend of the Red River. Known 18c. as Dong Kinh "Eastern Capital," which was corrupted by Europeans into Tonkin, Tonquin, and that name was used in the French colonial period to refer to the entire region and extended to the gulf to the east.
from Vietnamese Viet, the people's name + nam "south." Vietnam War attested by 1963.
Capital of Vietnam, located in the northern part of the country.