- misplacement or displacement, as of an organ.
- the formation of tissue in a part where its presence is abnormal.
Also het·er·ot·o·py [het-uh-rot-uh-pee] /ˌhɛt əˈrɒt ə pi/.
Origin of heterotopia
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- abnormal displacement of a bodily organ or part
Word Origin for heterotopia
C19: from New Latin, from hetero- + Greek topos place
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Displacement of an organ or other body part to an abnormal location.
- Displacement of gray matter, usually into the deep cerebral white matter.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.