- an indirect, covert, or helpful suggestion; clue: Give me a hint as to his identity.
- a very slight or hardly noticeable amount; soupçon: a hint of garlic in the salad dressing.
- perceived indication or suggestion; note; intimation: a hint of spring in the air.
- Obsolete. an occasion or opportunity.
- to give a hint of: gray skies hinting a possible snowfall.
- to make indirect suggestion or allusion; subtly imply (usually followed by at): The article hinted at corruption in the mayor's office.
Origin of hint
Synonyms for hint
Antonyms for hint
Examples from the Web for hinter
Historical Examples of hinter
The remainder of his section, now 60 strong, engaged in training on the hinter slope.The 28th: A Record of War Service in the Australian Imperial Force, 1915-19, Vol. I
Herbert Brayley Collett
It contains, notably in the two acts of the "hinter haus," real strokes of observation and profound knowledge of human nature.Iconoclasts
Let any one so much as hint that you are throwing yourself at Alec's head, and I shall have the hinter dynamited.A Son of the Immortals
But the hinter at evil things, having shot his shafts, was turning on his heel, bound for the tap-room at the "Brown Cow."The Root of All Evil
J. S. Fletcher
To widen their knowledge of the world, and teach them that "hinter den Bergen sind auch Leute!"A Witch of the Hills, v. 2-2
- a suggestion or implication given in an indirect or subtle mannerhe dropped a hint
- a helpful piece of advice or practical suggestion
- a small amount; trace
- (when intr, often foll by at; when tr, takes a clause as object) to suggest or imply indirectly
Word Origin for hint
Word Origin and History for hinter
c.1600, apparently from obsolete hent, from Middle English hinten "to tell, inform" (c.1400), from Old English hentan "to seize," from Proto-Germanic *hantijanan (cf. Gothic hinþan "to seize"), related to hunt (v.). Modern sense and spelling first attested in Shakespeare.
1640s, from hint (n.). Related: Hinted; hinting.
Idioms and Phrases with hinter
see take a hint.