- to make (a base hit): He hit a single and a home run.
- bat1 (def. 11).
- a game won by a player after the opponent has thrown off one or more men from the board.
- any winning game.
- (in information retrieval) an instance of successfully locating an item of data, as in a database or on the internet: When I search for my name, I get lots of hits.
- an instance of accessing a website.
- to represent or describe precisely or aptly: In his new book he hits off the American temperament with amazing insight.
- to imitate, especially in order to satirize.
- to deal a blow aimlessly: a child hitting out in anger and frustration.
- to make a violent verbal attack: Critics hit out at the administration's new energy policy.
- to ask to borrow money from: He hit me up for ten bucks.
- to inject a narcotic drug into a vein.
Idioms about hit
- to go out on the town; go nightclubbing: We'll hit the high spots when you come to town.
- to do something in a quick or casual manner, paying attention to only the most important or obvious facets or items: When I clean the house I hit the high spots and that's about all. This course will hit the high spots of ancient history.
Origin of hit
OTHER WORDS FROM hit
How to use hit in a sentence
That left a handful of strike force teammates, including Giuliani, Powell and Ellis, who has booked her TV hits without the campaign’s permission and told others that being on TV is key to success.Rudy Giuliani’s post-election meltdown starts to become literal|Dan Zak, Josh Dawsey|November 20, 2020|Washington Post
Below, Heidi, the queen of isolated cooking, shares five of her greatest hits.Ease into Winter with Backcountry-Approved Comfort Food|Christina Bernstein|November 12, 2020|Outside Online
“We certainly took a pretty big hit in advertising dollars that people paused,” he said.Yelp CEO is encouraged by antitrust case against Google|Verne Kopytoff|November 12, 2020|Fortune
Niantic’s experiments are still being bankrolled by their 2016 first-party hit Pokémon Go, which SensorTower estimates is having its best year ever in 2020.To own an AR future, Niantic wants to build a smarter map of the world|Lucas Matney|November 11, 2020|TechCrunch
Roethlisberger left Sunday’s game temporarily after grabbing his left knee following a hit by two Cowboys defenders.Ben Roethlisberger among four Steelers players quarantined as coronavirus contacts|Mark Maske|November 10, 2020|Washington Post
Where these laser-like missiles are falling out of the sky onto a city and you have to stop each of them from hitting the targets?Coffee Talk with Ethan Hawke: On ‘Boyhood,’ Jennifer Lawrence, and Bill Clinton’s Urinal Exchange|Marlow Stern|December 27, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Um, when I first heard of it, it was somebody hitting me up on Twitter telling me I should be playing Whitney.Inside the Lifetime Whitney Houston Movie’s Lesbian Lover Storyline|Kevin Fallon|December 16, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Said it was like speed dating because he was late after hitting every wrong gate on the lot.Exclusive: Sony Emails Slam Leonardo DiCaprio, Willow and Jaden Smith, Gush Over Ryan Gosling|William Boot|December 13, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Wonderland posted videos taken with a hidden camera—in a cross necklace, or inside a watch or glasses—of him hitting on women.School Shooters Love This Pickup Artist Website|Brandy Zadrozny|December 5, 2014|DAILY BEAST
And soon all of America got to see Ray in the ring with Janay, hitting her with a shot in the jaw.The $44 Million Teflon Don of the NFL|Mike Barnicle|November 30, 2014|DAILY BEAST
He aimed at the yawning hippopotamus and fired, hitting it on the skull, but at such an angle that the ball glanced off.Hunting the Lions|R.M. Ballantyne
Black Hood brought the car around in a wide sweeping turn to head back toward the gate, had to swerve to avoid hitting Joe Strong.
He's hitting her on the face every time she tries to rise an' gaein' her anither kick aye when she fa's doon again.The Underworld|James C. Welsh
There was life in the fellow, his eyes shone, his arm was steady, and for that reason he never failed in hitting the mark.Rudy and Babette|Hans Christian Andersen
Anyone not familiar with the experiment would suppose the board could be knocked off by hitting it on the outer end.The Boy Mechanic, Book 2|Various
British Dictionary definitions for hit
- a person or thing that gains wide appealshe's a hit with everyone
- (as modifier)a hit record
- a murder carried out as the result of an underworld vendetta or rivalry
- (as modifier)a hit squad
Word Origin for hit
Other Idioms and Phrases with hit
In addition to the idioms beginning with hit
- hit a snag
- hit below the belt
- hit between the eyes
- hit bottom
- hit it big
- hit it off
- hit on
- hit on all cylinders
- hit one's stride
- hit one where one lives
- hit or miss
- hit out
- hit parade
- hit the books
- hit the bottle
- hit the bricks
- hit the bull's-eye
- hit the ceiling
- hit the deck
- hit the fan
- hit the ground running
- hit the hay
- hit the high spots
- hit the jackpot
- hit the mark
- hit the nail on the head
- hit the road
- hit the roof
- hit the sack
- hit the spot
- hit up for
- hit upon
- (hit) below the belt
- can't hit the broad side of a barn
- heavy hitter
- make a hit
- pinch hitter
- smash hit