- not patient; not accepting delay, opposition, pain, etc., with calm or patience.
- indicating lack of patience: an impatient answer.
- restless in desire or expectation; eagerly desirous.
- impatient of, intolerant of: impatient of any interruptions.
Origin of impatient
SynonymsSee more synonyms for impatient on Thesaurus.com
1. uneasy, unquiet. 1, 2. irritable, testy, fretful, violent, hot; curt, brusque, abrupt. 3. hasty, impetuous, precipitate, sudden.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for impatient
On AboveTopSecret, Syrian Sister was impatient for his execution.The Kardashian Look-Alike Trolling for Assad
Noah Shachtman, Michael Kennedy
October 17, 2014
When impatient or tired, as he often is in his wheelchair, he stims: tapping his head, biting his arm, rocking.Disney World Means Everything to a Special Needs Mom
July 17, 2014
Yes, a Plan B, one that places more stock in patient strategy as opposed to impatient action.Memo to Bibi Netanyahu: It’s Time to Build an Arsenal of Awe
December 2, 2013
But the shutdown is something of a sideshow, provoked by impatient conservatives who wanted confrontation.Democrats May Be Obstructionists Now, but They Have Good Reason
October 1, 2013
Along with a cadre of other young, outspoken LGBT-rights activists in Yaoundé and Douala, Lembembe was impatient for change.Processing the Murder of Eric Ohena Lembembe
July 17, 2013
It had such encouraging reports of his business that he was impatient to get back to it.
She was impatient at the slightest delay, and only half answered his questions.
Then I grew so sleepy, that I was impatient to be shown to my bed.
Even in my benevolence I was as impatient and unreasonable as a child.
I am impatient to write to your sister Tollemache this good news.Tales And Novels, Volume 3 (of 10)
- lacking patience; easily irritated at delay, opposition, etc
- exhibiting lack of patiencean impatient retort
- (postpositive foll by of) intolerant (of) or indignant (at)impatient of indecision
- (postpositive often foll by for) restlessly eager (for something or to do something)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for impatient
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper