- the state of being intimate.
- a close, familiar, and usually affectionate or loving personal relationship with another person or group.
- a close association with or detailed knowledge or deep understanding of a place, subject, period of history, etc.: an intimacy with Japan.
- an act or expression serving as a token of familiarity, affection, or the like: to allow the intimacy of using first names.
- an amorously familiar act; liberty.
- sexual intercourse.
- the quality of being comfortable, warm, or familiar: the intimacy of the room.
- privacy, especially as suitable to the telling of a secret: in the intimacy of his studio.
Origin of intimacy
Synonyms for intimacySee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for intimacyconfidence, familiarity, understanding, friendship, affection, confidentiality, affinity, acquaintance, experience, communion, inwardness
Examples from the Web for intimacy
Contemporary Examples of intimacy
Miller realized he had a partner, another life, and, despite the intimacy she thought they had built, he was just another client.Sex, Suicide, and Homework: The Secret World of the Telephone Hotline
November 20, 2014
One of the suits against Kelley charged her with defamation for calling Miller an “intimacy stalker” in her LiveJournal page.The Mystery Woman Who Tried to Outdo Dillinger
September 29, 2014
But the Beyoncé stage pictures are a ruse: they have an air of intimacy while telling us nothing of substance at all.
It is an advertising campaign, selling Dior and selling her, bathed in the false glow of intimacy.
Scotland for her must have been the location of many treasured moments of intimacy.Queen Victoria’s Secret Scottish Sex Castle
August 17, 2014
Historical Examples of intimacy
Between parent and child, the intimacy had been unusually close.Within the Law
Oh, I forgot,—I observe that you have renewed your intimacy with Legard.Alice, or The Mysteries, Complete
Are you willing to give up all intimacy with Hamish Channing?The Channings
Mrs. Henry Wood
The intimacy of occult things isolates also these wise little birds.The Forest
Stewart Edward White
In the contemplation of beauty she knew the need of love, knew it with an intimacy that was cruel.A Spirit in Prison
- close or warm friendship or understanding; personal relationship
- (often plural) euphemistic sexual relations