- (in the Altaic group of languages) a title held by hereditary rulers or tribal chiefs.
- the supreme ruler of the Tatar tribes, as well as emperor of China, during the Middle Ages: a descendant of Genghis Khan.
- a title of respect used in Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, and other countries of Asia.
Origin of khan1
- an inn or caravansary.
Origin of khan2
Related Words for khanking, monarch, emperor, czar, sultan, shah, majesty, queen, empress, mogul, kaiser, prince, baron, royal, sovereign, potentate, lord, dame, tycoon, baroness
Examples from the Web for khan
Contemporary Examples of khan
The now-efficient process “once took a month by former means and now actually takes a day,” says Dr. Khan.
Part of that, Dr. Khan says, was a direct result of the global trekking PepsiCo is doing.
Worried this might turn people off from his performance, Khan said he didn't intend to offend anyone.Defying Stereotypes, Young Muslim Writers Find Community Onstage
October 12, 2014
Allied with a Canadian-Pakistani Islamic preacher, Khan has called for Sharif to resign.Nuclear Pakistan's Spies Target India—and Their Own Prime Minister
September 4, 2014
Khalid al Najar, 27, was half dazed as he walked back toward Khan Younis with a plastic bag of clothes.Who Is Behind Gaza's Mass Execution?
August 1, 2014
Historical Examples of khan
On this occasion, our provisions were supplemented by the hospitality of the khan.
The Khan of Dir, the most important, is a Government nominee.
The khan asserted his loyalty and that of his neighbour the Khan of Jar.
The retainers of the Khan of Khar implored them not to be so rash.
You see, the question was what to do about the mess that the Khan and Khant made.Christmas Every Day and Other Stories
W. D. Howells
- (formerly) a title borne by medieval Chinese emperors and Mongol and Turkic rulers: usually added to a nameKublai Khan
- such a ruler
- a title of respect borne by important personages in Afghanistan and central Asia
Word Origin for khan
- an inn in Turkey, certain Arab countries, etc; caravanserai
Word Origin for khan
- See Imran Khan
c.1400, from Turkic, literally "lord, prince," contraction of khaqan "ruler, sovereign." Known in Europe since 13c., cf. Latin chanis, Greek kanes, Old French chan.