- of, relating to, or belonging to a legion.
- constituting a legion or legions.
- History/Historical. a soldier of a Roman legion.
- a member of the British Legion.
- legionnaire(def 2).
Origin of legionary
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for legionary
He is my servant, just as in old days I was his officer, he my legionary.Marcus: the Young Centurion
George Manville Fenn
I expect that in some things the legionary does for the negro ant what it could not do for itself.
The ant which it steals is of a dark ash colour; the legionary is of light colour.
The legionary is a strong, brave ant, with a sting, but very lazy.
I shall relate to you the account which Mr. Huber gives of the legionary.
- of or relating to a legion
- a soldier belonging to a legion