- the expulsion of a fetus before it is viable, especially between the third and seventh months of pregnancy; spontaneous abortion.Compare abortion(def 1).
- failure to attain the just, right, or desired result: a miscarriage of justice.
- failure of something sent, as a letter, to reach its destination.
- Chiefly British. transportation of goods not in accordance with the contract of shipment.
Origin of miscarriage
Related Words for miscarriageabortion, mishap, breakdown, malfunction, misadventure, botch, misfire, error, mischance, perversion, defeat, interruption, undoing, miss, mistake
Examples from the Web for miscarriage
Contemporary Examples of miscarriage
I was at MacDowell three days after the miscarriage and tried to write that piece.Meghan Daum On Tackling The Unspeakable Parts Of Life
December 6, 2014
One pregnant woman reported that she suffered a miscarriage after she was kicked by a Border Patrol agent.A Shooting on a Tribal Land Uncovers Feds Running Wild
August 26, 2014
But after nearly a year of trying and a miscarriage, she is still not pregnant.
Will we reach a time when only poor women have to worry about miscarriage?
“No one knows this—I had a miscarriage for those weeks that I took off,” she said.Lindsay Lohan Reveals Miscarriage: The Most Shocking Moments From 'Lindsay'
April 21, 2014
Historical Examples of miscarriage
The next day her wish was fulfilled and she had a miscarriage.Therese Raquin
He could have groaned aloud at this miscarriage of all his fine plans.Love-at-Arms
But, very probably, the result is often a miscarriage of justice.
This miscarriage of justice sent dismay into the hearts of his parents.By the Christmas Fire
Samuel McChord Crothers
Three days later a Grdznth miscarriage threatened, and was averted.PRoblem
Alan Edward Nourse
- (also ˈmɪskær-) spontaneous expulsion of a fetus from the womb, esp prior to the 20th week of pregnancy
- an act of mismanagement or failurea miscarriage of justice
- British the failure of freight to reach its destination
- spontaneous abortion
- The premature, spontaneous expulsion of the products of pregnancy from the uterus, usually in the first trimester. Also called spontaneous abortion