- a dog of mixed or indeterminate breed.
- any animal or plant resulting from the crossing of different breeds or varieties.
- any cross between different things, especially if inharmonious or indiscriminate.
- of mixed breed, nature, or origin; of or like a mongrel.
Origin of mongrel
Synonyms for mongrelSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Antonyms for mongrel
Related Words for mongrelbastard, mixture, cur, hybrid, cross, mutt, half-breed, crossbreed, mule, half-blood
Examples from the Web for mongrel
Contemporary Examples of mongrel
On the one hand, Wilfred is a pot-smoking, hard-drinking, Matt Damon-loving, mongrel dog.The Weird Existential Genius of ‘Wilfred’
June 25, 2014
The dog was a mongrel, maybe 35 pounds, and the kid was trying to balance it in front of him on the frame of his bicycle.The Stacks: A Dog Dies, a Boy Grows Up
June 21, 2014
Miscegenation would follow and a mongrel race would be the result.Up From History, Part 4
February 4, 2013
Sam Bungey grew up in London, went to university in Dublin and co-founded Mongrel, a monthly magazine about Irish youth culture.Waiting for Obama
March 22, 2010
Historical Examples of mongrel
I have my eye on a mongrel in Somerstown who keeps three boys.The Uncommercial Traveller
These mongrel people will fight for their women when they will fight for nothing else.City of Endless Night
They are not so band-boxy as they were, but remind me of an old, mongrel dog I once owned.The Strollers
Frederic S. Isham
You have only to stand up to them, and they curl up like mongrel curs.Ireland as It Is
Robert John Buckley (AKA R.J.B.)
Fertility of Varieties when crossed, and of their Mongrel offspring.On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection
- a plant or animal, esp a dog, of mixed or unknown breeding; a crossbreed or hybrid
- taboo a person of mixed race
- Australian and NZ sport toughness and physical aggressiona tall southpaw with plenty of mongrel
- of mixed origin, breeding, character, etc